Orthodontics and oral health are closely related. Orthodontic treatment, such as braces, can significantly affect your overall health and wellness.
Not only do braces help you to have a beautiful and healthy smile, but they can also improve other aspects of your life, such as your self-confidence, your ability to eat and speak properly, and even your overall physical health.
Now you may be thinking about how braces impact your overall wellness. Braces can help correct misaligned teeth and bite issues, leading to better oral hygiene, fewer cavities, and a reduced risk of gum disease.
In this blog, we will explore how braces can make a positive impact on your oral health, as well as your overall wellness.
Importance of oral health to overall wellness
Oral health is an important part of overall wellness that should not be overlooked. Poor oral health can lead to various medical problems, including systemic diseases. Here are some key points to consider when it comes to the importance of oral health to overall wellness.
- Healthy Mouth, Healthy Body: Good oral health is essential for overall health and wellness. Poor oral health can lead to or worsen several medical conditions, including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even preterm labor.
- Preventive Care: Regular visits to the dentist can help to identify and treat any problems before they become more serious. It also helps keep your mouth healthy and reduces the need for more extensive dental treatments, such as fillings and root canals.
- Improved Self-esteem: The appearance of your mouth can also affect your self-esteem. Poor oral health can lead to social embarrassment and a lack of confidence.
- Reduced Risk of Infection: Good oral health can reduce the risk of infection in other parts of your body. Bacteria from your mouth can travel to other parts of the body and cause infection.
- Pain Relief: Regular dental visits can help to identify any potential issues that may be causing pain in your mouth or jaw. Treating these issues can reduce the pain and discomfort that you may be experiencing.
How Does Orthodontics Help with Oral Health?
Orthodontics focuses on improving a person’s facial aesthetics, smile, and overall dental health. Here are some of the ways orthodontics can help improve oral health:
Straightening of Teeth
Straightening of teeth is the primary benefit of orthodontic treatments. By removing any misalignment, crooked teeth, and gaps, orthodontics can improve the overall health of the teeth and gums. Straightening of the teeth also reduces stress on the jaw and improves the function of the bite.
Reducing Risk of Gum Disease and Cavities
Misaligned teeth can be difficult to clean properly, leading to an increased risk of gum disease and cavities. Orthodontic treatments can reduce this risk by straightening the teeth and making it easier to brush and floss. This way, you can lessen the risk of gum disease and cavities, resulting in healthier teeth and gums.
Misaligned teeth can also cause speech problems. Orthodontic treatments can improve the clarity of one’s speech by straightening the teeth and ensuring the teeth and lips are in the correct position. This can reduce the risk of speech impediments and improve the overall clarity of one’s speech.
What are the Different Types of Braces?
Braces are a popular choice for people looking to straighten their teeth. There are a few different types of braces available, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Let’s take a look at the different types of braces and what makes them unique.
1. Traditional Metal Braces
Traditional metal braces are the most commonly used type of braces. They are made of metal brackets and wires and are the most visible type. Although they are the least expensive option, they can be uncomfortable and require regular tightening by your orthodontist.
2. Clear Ceramic Braces
Clear ceramic braces are similar to traditional metal braces but are made of clear ceramic brackets and tooth-colored wires. They are less visible than traditional metal braces but require more frequent tightening. Additionally, ceramic braces are also more expensive than traditional metal braces.
3. Invisalign Braces
Invisalign braces are a type of clear plastic aligners that are custom-made for each patient. The aligners are removable, so they are more comfortable than traditional braces. They are also more expensive than traditional metal braces, but they are the most discreet option.
Orthodontic treatments such as braces can have a positive impact on your overall wellness. Not only do they improve the appearance of your smile and create a more balanced bite, but they can also reduce the risk of gum disease and tooth decay.
Furthermore, they can reduce headaches, facial discomfort, and jaw pain. Ultimately, orthodontic treatments can be an important part of your overall oral health care plan.